Sundays tend to be the day where calories do not count in our house! One Sunday evening, my husband and I were thinking about making a dessert...and decided it would be awesome to make a dish that incorporated both sweet and salty elements. We happened to have a bag of pretzels and brownie mix on hand — and the rest is history! Since making the original batch we have experimented with adding different toppings/fillings, but like the original the best!
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- Brownie mix
- 3 eggs (for a more cake-like batter)
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray 9 x 13-inch baking pan with baking spray.
- Melt butter in the microwave.
- Crush 2 cups pretzels to a fine crumble (food processor would work best!).
- Combine melted butter, crumbled pretzels and ½ cup sugar in bowl and mix well.
- Press the pretzels into the bottom of the baking dish; place in the oven for about 5 minutes while you prepare the brownie mix.
- Follow directions on your favorite brownie mix package.
- Remove pretzel crust from the oven and pour the batter into the baking dish, right on top of the pretzels.
- Follow baking instructions based on the pan (9 x 13-inch is 28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with only a couple crumbs).
- Let the brownies cool, then cut into squares and enjoy!