Stuffed French Toast
The day before Christmas, my mom always makes this dish for my family to eat on Christmas morning while we are opening gifts or watching a new movie we received. We have been eating Stuffed French Toast for breakfast for as long as I can remember on Christmas morning. Making this by myself made me appreciate even more the time my mom takes every year to make this for us to keep the tradition alive.
- 1 8-oz package sausage
- 1 8-oz loaf Italian bread (about 14–16 inches in length)
- ¼ lb sliced Muenster cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Cook sausage following the instructions on the package.
- Slice Muenster cheese into thin slices for stuffing.
- Cut the Italian bread into 1½-inch slices with a slit down the middle (the slit will not go through the entire piece of bread).
- Stuff the bread with 1–2 pieces of sausage, depending on the size of bread and Muenster cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and milk with a whisk.
- Once the bread is all stuffed, dip the stuffed bread into the egg mixture and place on a greased skillet.
- Cook the French toast until brown on both sides, then place in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Serve hot with fresh fruit on the side.
Note: If making ahead of time, heat the stuffed French toast by placing the baking pan, covered, in an oven preheated to 350°F for 15–20 minutes until heated through.
Approximately 4 servings.