Grandmother Evensen's Applesauce Dessert
— Ally Goodwin, Media Supervisor & Assistant Media Director of Shopper Marketing
This was a recipe from my mom's grandmother. It was passed down to my grandmother and my mother.
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Dash nutmeg, if desired
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup coarse graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups applesauce (homemade or a good quality store-bought
- Crush enough graham crackers to make 1 cup of coarse crumbs. Combine crumbs with other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking dish and add 1 cup of applesauce. Crumble half of the crumb mixture on top. Add another cup of applesauce and another layer of crumbs. (If you don’t have a deep enough dish to layer, you can just do one layer in a flatter pan. Also, you can easily double or make an extra half of this recipe, depending on how many you want to serve.)
- Bake the dessert until bubbling hot and the crumbs begin to brown.
- Serve warm with your favorite topping (whipped cream, yogurt, ice cream, etc.).