My mom used to make this dish as a quick meal when my family all had different schedules and needed a delicious, easy meal. It was a go-to recipe and my whole family loved it. There are many ways you could “doctor” it up, but she tended to revert back to this mixture of vegetables and ingredients each time. Enjoy!
- 3 zucchini
- 3 yellow squash
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb penne pasta
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cut zucchini and squash into julienne by slicing each lengthwise into 4 long strips. Lay the strips one on top of the other and cut them horizontally into thin strips, or julienne. Set aside.
- Heat butter and extra virgin olive oil together in a medium/large skillet. When the butter is melted and foam begins to subside, add the chopped garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat until garlic becomes opaque. Add zucchini, squash and basil. Cook over medium-high heat until the zucchini and squash soften and some pieces are golden brown (approximately 7 minutes). Do not overcook!
- Cook the pasta in boiling water until al dente. Quickly drain and place in a shallow serving bowl with zucchini, squash and all cooking juices. Gently toss the pasta and serve!
Advice: Let each person add their own salt, pepper and parmesan cheese!