Tomato Basil Pasta Salad
Years ago we were going to a 4th of July BBQ and I was supposed to bring a pasta salad. I found a recipe in a cookbook that sounded good, but the recipe did not contain pasta and was far too bland. I added a little of this and a little of that to it, and it soon became a family favorite. It is bright, colorful, light and different. We make it every summer and keep it in the house for everyone to enjoy.
- ¾ lb rotini or bowtie pasta
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, one each red and yellow
- ¾ cup minced onion or 3 tbsp dried minced onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped basil leaves
- 1 lb fat-free crumbled feta cheese
- Cook and drain pasta according to package directions.
- Set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place in a large bowl.
- Add the onion, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and basil.
- Add in cooled pasta.
- Toss well.
- Gently fold feta cheese into tomato pasta mixture and toss.
- Serve at room temperature.