Gourmet Grandma's Spanakopita!
My grandma's cooking is very well-liked among friends and family back east. In fact, "Gourmet Grandma" is a nickname given to her by my best friend many Christmases ago. Every time we all get together, my grandma outdoes herself with the awesome dishes she cooks for us. My grandma always has something on the table for everyone, even her sole vegetarian (favorite) granddaughter.
- 3 10-oz packages chopped frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- 2 tbsp butter, plus extra for sautéing and spreading on phyllo
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint, if desired
- Phyllo dough
- For béchamel sauce, melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and blend. Add milk; simmer, stirring, for 4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Let cool.
- In large skillet, sauté chopped onion in butter until soft. Add spinach, well-squeezed, and sauté 3 or 4 minutes, then let cool.
- When cool, put spinach into a large bowl. Add béchamel sauce, eggs, feta cheese, salt, pepper and chopped fresh mint, if desired.
- Using an 11 x 14-inch dish, butter 1 sheet of phyllo dough. Put into dish and add spinach mixture; spread evenly. Repeat step six more times, ending with phyllo on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Cut into squares and serve.