Sweet Banana Bread
— Sara Cottrill, Assistant Account Executive
Mom used to make this recipe as a treat during the weekend. I have since made some additions and make it for my family when I visit home.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups (3–4 medium) mashed bananas
- ½ cup margarine, softened
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
Optional (add just one or all):
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- Turbinado sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- While the oven is heating, grease the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5-inch (or 8 x 4-inch) loaf pan.
- Put sugar, mashed bananas, margarine, milk, vanilla extract and eggs in a bowl. Beat one minute with hand mixer on medium speed.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and any optional ingredients you choose. Only combine until everything is moistened.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and place in oven.
- Bake 50–60 minutes or until toothpick in the center comes out clean. Be careful not to burn; after 50 minutes check bread every 2–3 minutes.
- Once completely done, cool for 5 minutes and remove from loaf pan.