LaLa's Pork Tacos
My husband's mom (a.k.a. LaLa) came from Vera Cruz, Mexico, as a young girl. She made this for her family as my husband grew up. Once we got married, John introduced me to his Mexican side of food deliciousness. Our son, Stavros, and I quickly came to love LaLa's Pork Tacos.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 lbs pork loin, cubed into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 tbsp Spanish oregano
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cut length-wise and quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 42 oz tomato sauce
- 1 lime, halved
- Corn tortillas
- Avocado, sliced thin, for garnish
- Tomatillo salsa verde, for garnish
- Sour cream
- In a large pan, heat olive oil. Generously season the pork with salt and pepper. In batches, brown the meat on all sides, about 5 minutes per side; remove the meat and set aside.
- In pan, sweat onions, add the pepper, garlic, tomato sauce, oregano and meat. Heat for 1 hour at medium heat. After 30 minutes add cilantro.
- Heat tortillas; add meat mixture, cheese, sour cream, avocados, salsa and lettuce, per your preference.