Dutch Hot Spot
My grandmother found this recipe in the New York Times over 50 years ago and it quickly became a family favorite. Over the years we have enjoyed it for Sunday night dinners, holidays and many dinner parties. This dish is a great complement to roasts, chicken and ham.
- 3 carrots
- 8 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel carrots, potatoes and onion.
- Chop carrots, potatoes and onion; place in large pot. Cover with water. Add a dash of salt to water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 25–30 minutes until tender.
- Drain water and mash carrots, potatoes and onion with butter and milk. Mix until smooth.
- Empty mashed mixture into a 9 x 13-inch greased baking dish.
- Cover dish with cheddar cheese. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve with love <3