Nutella Banana Crepes
Right before joining Blue Chip, I went on a four-month backpacking trip through Europe with my best friend. Our first stop, Paris, was home to our newfound favorite snack, CREPES! Whether they were filled with Nutella and bananas or savory ham and cheese, we loved them all! We found that crepes went right along with our busy tourist schedule (and budget!). We were obsessed, and couldn’t help but stop at every street cart selling fresh crepes. Once we came back to the U.S, I decided to start making this easy dish that can be a simple breakfast meal or dessert after a fancy homemade dinner!
- 2 cups flour (whole wheat or all-purpose)
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup water
- Pinch salt
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Butter, for coating the pan
- Berries or other fruit, for topping (optional)
- Combine milk, eggs, water, and salt, gradually adding flour. The batter should be the thickness of heavy cream. Add water if batter is too thick. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour. This helps smooth out the batter so that it will not tear during cooking. Batter can be refrigerated up to two days.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Wipe the pan lightly with butter or spray with cooking spray. Lift the pan from the heat and pour in about ⅓ cup of batter, depending on the size of your pan. Make sure it lightly covers the whole area of the skillet. Tilt and rotate the pan to coat the surface. Cook until almost dry on top and lightly browned on the edges, about 1 minute.
- Loosen the edges with a metal spatula or fork and flip the crepe over using your fingers or the spatula. Cook the other side for about 15 seconds, until lightly browned. Turn the crepe out onto a plate to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter or nonstick spray to the pan as needed, then stacking the crepes as they are cooked. It takes a crepe or two to get the heat adjusted properly and everything working smoothly. So the first imperfect one(s) are a treat for you!
- Once all your crepes are done, spread a few tablespoons of Nutella on each crepe and top with bananas. (I like to top my crepes with fresh berries and toasted almonds as well!) Bon appetit!